VMware Cloud Community
AlexEv123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What ratio Virtual/Physical memory is possible in VmWare ESXI 6.7

Hi, I have server with 32 GB physical memory. I want to host in this server a lot of Ubuntu X64 VDS with summary memory more than 160 GB. Is this ratio is real or too much?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@AlexEv123 

Thats a very high level of overcommitment, it might work but the likelihood is your host would be under extreme memory pressure and a lot of VM memory would end up written to disk via one of the reclamation methods used by ESXi.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
AlexEv123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thank you

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

It's strongly recommended to do not exceed virtual memory assignment more than existing available memory resources, for any type of guest OS/application even in testing scenarios. However, first of all I suggest to read my post about Relation between physical & virtual Memory.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos