VMware Cloud Community
Mikey3883
Contributor
Contributor

What happens to third party plugins during a VCSA upgrade?

HI All,

I'm looking to perform an upgrade of my VCSA from 6.5U2 to 6.7U1. However I currently have a number of third party plugins installed on the VCSA.

From what I have read, the upgrade process is actually just a migration to a new appliance, with the configuration data being exported from the old and imported into the new.

So my question is are third party plugins also exported/imported across to the new appliance, or do they need to be reinstalled after the upgrade?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

What exactly do you have installed in the way of plug-ins and what are their versions?

0 Kudos
Mikey3883
Contributor
Contributor

The plugins form part of the HPE Simplivity hyper-converged solution (aka OmniStack). One plugin adds some additional actions into the HTML5 and Flash clients, the other plugins I'm not 100% sure what they do, and HPE have never given me a complete answer other than they are required for Simplivity to operate. They are registered as com.simplivity.evalta-* - and the is a plugin for each ESXi host in the cluster.

I'm running HPE Simplivity at version 3.7.6U1 at the moment, and looking to upgrade that as well to the latest 3.7.7 - but the first step is to upgrade the VCSA.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

On the Simplivity plug-in I'm not sure and you may want to ask HPE on their upgrade procedure when faced with it. Normally, the upgrade wizard will seek those out and attempt to validate their compatibility. If they're pointers to external sources, the registration remains. If they're internally installed (again, don't know about Simplivity), I don't think they're moved.

0 Kudos
Mikey3883
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks daphnissov​,

HPE seem to think it should carry over the plugins. I think I'm just going to have to suck it and see. I'll post some results once I manage to do the upgrade.

0 Kudos