VMware Cloud Community
roman79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What are we missing if the VASA provider is not available for vSphere 6.5?

Hi All,

I am just wondering how it is critical to have the VASA provider available for the storage connected to vSphere 6.5.

Let's say if the storage vendor doesn't have plans to implement this support, however the storage is in VMware HCL for vSphere 6.5.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VASA does not participate in UNMAP commands. If your datastores are on VMFS-6, UNMAP is set to run automatically and does not rely upon or need a VASA provider.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

someone has written a nice article explaining why VASA is important to have

https://www.virtualizationpractice.com/why-vasa-is-important-to-have-in-your-vmware-casa-12695/

in short, that's what you miss if you don't have it. We can still live without it though Smiley Happy

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
roman79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi npadmani​,

Thank you for the link provided.

My concern is whether we loose an automatic Space Reclamation feature (VAAI UNMAP) with thin-provisioned LUNs because of it - I am not sure if without VASA provider vSphere will be able to identify LUN as thin-provisioned. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VASA does not participate in UNMAP commands. If your datastores are on VMFS-6, UNMAP is set to run automatically and does not rely upon or need a VASA provider.

roman79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you, daphnissov ! It looks like I do not have constraints upgrading to vSphere 6.5 from the storage perspective.

0 Kudos