VMware Cloud Community
willi321
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What Happens to VMs if the Datastore is removed from Datastore Cluster?

Assuming that VMs are powered on and reside on a datastore within a datastore cluster, can you remove the datastore from said cluster?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Okay, so not problem.

As long as you don't unmount the Datastores from the ESXi hosts there will be no problem.

Just move outside the Datastore from the Datastore cluster and it will be fine.

Then, you can remove your hosts from one vCenter and add it to the new vCenter (if networking is the same there should be no problem).

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

By removing you mean only from the Datastore Cluster or Unmounting the Datastore?

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
0 Kudos
willi321
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The end goal is to move the hosts i have from one vcenter instance to another and there are datastore clusters in place.

By removing i meant only from the datastore cluster.

0 Kudos
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Have checked this link VMware Knowledge Base ?

0 Kudos
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Okay, so not problem.

As long as you don't unmount the Datastores from the ESXi hosts there will be no problem.

Just move outside the Datastore from the Datastore cluster and it will be fine.

Then, you can remove your hosts from one vCenter and add it to the new vCenter (if networking is the same there should be no problem).

0 Kudos