VMware Cloud Community
fosterclivet
Contributor
Contributor

We Mount, Scan and adopt VM's on vmfs 5.5 into V7 vCentre.

We have a requirement to mount a SaS based storage array currently running against VCentre.5.5 onto a new vCentre install running version 7 and adopt the VM images. Does anybody know if this is possible and if so what we need to look out for ?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@fosterclivet 

Moderator: Moved to vSphere Discussions - this is a broader question

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@fosterclivet 

So you have storage presented to ESXi hosts which are managed by an old vCenter Server, and you want to present that same storage to ESXi hosts which are managed by a new vCenter Server?

Or, do you want the new vCenter Server to manage the old ESXi hosts and the VMs on the storage presented to those hosts?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
fosterclivet
Contributor
Contributor

First option, only the storage is re-presented. Once we can see the VM images we plan to import into a new vCentre and then move to a new storage array.

Thanks for replying.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@fosterclivet 

Yes that is possible, and is a common way that VMs are migrated between older and newer hosts.

0 Kudos
fosterclivet
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the information. I had done something similar before but not with such a large jump between versions.

0 Kudos