VMware Cloud Community
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Warning : VMFS 6 in combination with the unlocker patch to run MacOS VMs on non mac-hardware

A while ago I asked for users with locktype abcdef04 in the heartbeat section.

Here is an update:

Now I have enough data to believe that the locktype abcdef04 maybe related to ESXi systems that have used the unlocker patch.

For an average VMware admin a vmdk locked with abcdef04 probably is a complete loss.

I now think I found a fix - but I would highly recommend that any users who used the unlocker patch in the past, to reinstall ESXi and rebuilds their datastores once they no longer need to run MacOS VMs.

A file / vmdk on VMFS locked by abcdef04 cant be copied and will report Bad File Descriptor.

To all users considering the use of the unlocker patch:

The locktype abcdef04 can affect all VMs - wether they run MacOS or not - so think twice before you use it. It is illegal and can also seriously affect your other VMs.

If you run into this problem feel free to call me via skype.

Ulli

0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

It may just be my opinion here, but it might not be the best idea to help people out of a jam that they created in an attempt to circumvent protections put in place to prevent them from illegally running MacOS on non-Apple hardware in the first place. May be a case of "turnabout is fair play" in this instance.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: As running MacOS on non-Apple hardware is an EULA violation, thread locked.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos