VMware Cloud Community
anhtu281
Contributor
Contributor

Wake on Lan (WoL) - ESXI 6.5 - Not working properly

Hi there,

I am trying to use WoL on vSphere 6.5 and Esxi 6.5. It works, but not stable and take very long time to put a host to standby or exit standby mode.

My physical adapter is: Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network Connection (name vmnic0; actual and configured speed is 1000Mb Full Duplex).

Beside default configurations, I just enabled vMotion (on Networking/VMkernel adapters) so I managed to put my Esxi host in standby mode or exit standby mode. But there are 2 problems:

1. Sometimes I could not put the esxi host in standby mode, it returns "Operation failed: The operation is not supported on the object."

2. It took 5-10 minutes to put the esxi in standby mode, and took another 5-10 minutes to turn it back on (sometimes it takes forever).

Please tell me if I did something wrong and how to fix this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

To begin with, please review the following prerequisites:

Test Wake-on-LAN for vSphere DPM

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
anhtu281
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks! But it is not what I am looking for. As I wrote, I managed to put Esxi in standby mode and get it back alive. But it seems to be unstable and it takes too long to complete the task.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Do you just have the one host set with this configuration?

If my memory is correct, the WOL packet is sent from a running host to the offline host via the vMotion network.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos