VMware Cloud Community
BasilLogachev
Contributor
Contributor

Vsphere Web Client 6.7: can't add vlan with some VLAN ID

I trying to add new Vlan for vSwitch: select appropriate Host, Configure - Networking - Virtual switches (i have only 1 switch for this host) - Add networking, in new window select "Virtual Machine Port Group for a Standard Switch" button, Next, select vSwitch0, Next, enter "vlan33" for Network label and 33 for VLAN ID:

screen1.png

press Next and on next screen i see, that VLAN ID is replaced from 33 to 332:

screen2.png

VLAN ID 332 already exist in vSwitch0, but i need VLAN ID=33.

Same trouble with VLAN ID 223, it changed for existed 2336.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I believe it is auto-filling the data from existing vlan ids which are populating.

Once you enter the vlan 33, can you select the 33 and ensure to press right arrow key just to ensure that it is entered instead of search the string in the box..

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
BasilLogachev
Contributor
Contributor

No, i have not '33' in dropdown list, therefore i enter VLAN ID by keyboard. In addition, this issue repeat for another PC and browsers: IE, FireFox, Chromium.
But vlan 33 was exist some time ago, because this vlan id exist in vmnic0 and vmnic1, connected to vSwitch:
screen3.png
Do i need to delete VLAN33 from vmnic's? How can i do that?

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You need not to delete, I was referring you to let the search complete by clicking post entering vlan id 33 and let the cursor is end of 33.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

I'm confused, why are you trying to add it if its already there?

0 Kudos
BasilLogachev
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, i was do this, nothing has changed.

0 Kudos
BasilLogachev
Contributor
Contributor

VLAN 33 to be mentioned in physical adapters settings.

VLAN ID 33 is absent in vSwitch0. I need VM with VLAN ID 33.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Must be some kind of nasty (browser) bug. Please try to enter VLAN ID 33, and then press the TAB key to see whether this avoids auto completion.

André

0 Kudos
BasilLogachev
Contributor
Contributor

I use your recipe (use TAB key) and nothing has changed. Problem is not in browser, i think (i was trying differrent browsers), not in autocompletion (i use Righ Arrow key, TAB key).

0 Kudos
MartinGustafsso
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This does indeed sound like a browser or vSphere Client issue, could you try and add it using powercli or using the ESXi cli?

#ESXi CLI

esxcfg-vswitch --add-pg=vlan33 vSwitch0

esxcfg-vswitch -v 33 -p vlan33 vSwitch0

#PowerCLI

Get-VirtualSwitch -VMhost <hostname of ESXi host> -Name vSwitch0 | New-VirtualPortGroup -Name vlan33 -VlanId 33

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I wasn't able to reproduce the issue, but what worked in my lab was to enter the VLAN ID with a leading zero, so that auto completion cannot find a match.The summary screen should then show the VLAN ID without leading zeroes, and the port groups should be crated as expected.

André

BasilLogachev
Contributor
Contributor

What i did: create portgroup vlan33 in browser (with wrong VLAN ID 332) and then change VLAN ID to 33 by command:

esxcfg-vswitch -p "vlan33" -v 33 vSwitch0

But your recipe more convenient, i expect something like this.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
BasilLogachev
Contributor
Contributor

I will try your recipe next time this issue occur.

0 Kudos
BasilLogachev
Contributor
Contributor

Sounds like strange lifehack, but your recipe is worked.

Thank you.

0 Kudos