VMware Cloud Community
bn1234
Contributor
Contributor

Vsphere Esxi 6.7 - Quiesce guest file system grayed out for all VMs

Recently migrated to new hosts running the latest version of Esxi 6.7 and vCenter Appliance. I noticed today that when taking snapshots the option to Quiesce guest file system grayed out for all VMs. I can't find a single VM that doesn't have this option grayed out. These VMs have VMware tools installed and running. I tried rebooting a couple of the VMs to see if that made a difference and it does not.

I've tried it on the host management UI and vCenter, both Flash and HTML5.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
SRehan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Good Day..

We need to upgrade VMware Tools version to latest one (VMware Tool 11), may be after that option will available.

0 Kudos
bn1234
Contributor
Contributor

I upgraded one VM to VMware Tools 11 and it did not change the option to not be grayed out:

3.jpg

0 Kudos
bn1234
Contributor
Contributor

I just noticed that if I uncheck the box to Snapshot the VMs memory, the option to quiesce the file system is now available. Is this new behavior or am just mistaken?

4.jpg

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Short- version:

If you quiesce there's no need to snapshot memory as in- memory cache etc are flushed to disk...

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
bn1234
Contributor
Contributor

Well I wasn't crazy. I went back and looked at a 6.0 host and you did have the option for both. So I guess this is a 6.7 thing now.

5.jpg

0 Kudos