VMware Cloud Community
Akide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vmware switch issue

I jot a issue with using vmware DSwitch. There is my current deploy below. NIC1,2,3 are working properly because they are related to physical NIC. This issue focus on red part which said not use Physical NICs. I want to create a new virtual network which is 192.168.11.0/24 with pfsense management. This network has been create like right side of picture above, but this network just can work in each separate host. For example here, we have VM1 and VM2 they both connect to inside network. 1.if VM1 and VM2 are both in same host they CAN connect each others 2.if VM1 in left host and VM2 in right host they CAN NOT connect each others. And i do not want to add some more physical NICs in this part because this is just virtual network, if i want to have more virtual network , do any one have idea make it works that use virtual network without physical NICs.

virtual network.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

First of all, your drawing is quite confusing, but based on what you're saying it sounds like you want some sort of magical, private network in which VMs across different hosts can communicate without a physical NIC assigned. That's now how switching works, virtual or physical. Even if you want a private network, you still have to switch that traffic externally. A vSphere Distributed Switch (vDS) does not imbue the network stack with magical abilities that were lacking prior to the advent of vSphere. You need to use either a dedicated vmnic, or send that traffic down an existing vmnic with a separate VLAN ID.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

First of all, your drawing is quite confusing, but based on what you're saying it sounds like you want some sort of magical, private network in which VMs across different hosts can communicate without a physical NIC assigned. That's now how switching works, virtual or physical. Even if you want a private network, you still have to switch that traffic externally. A vSphere Distributed Switch (vDS) does not imbue the network stack with magical abilities that were lacking prior to the advent of vSphere. You need to use either a dedicated vmnic, or send that traffic down an existing vmnic with a separate VLAN ID.

0 Kudos