VMware Cloud Community
hakimbhungrawal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vmware Standalone Host Down

Dear Forum,

We require solution for below query.

VMware standalone host is down due to some hardware issue but entire VM's on storage.

Can I get VM's if I mount the LUN on other standalone host and add as datastore on new host.

Appreciate your quick respond.

Regards,

Hakim. B

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Finikiez
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

It doesn't matter for a datastore if you try to attach datastore to a standalone host or member of a HA\DRS cluster.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Finikiez
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Sure, you can map\mount your storage to a new ESXi host and it must see existing VMFS datastore.

Then you need to inventoy your VMs.

hakimbhungrawal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear Finikiez,

We tried this but after adding the data store we lost entire VM's.

Regards,

Hakim. B

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If you create a new datastore over existing - obviously you will lose your data.

However VMFS is a clustered file system, a new ESXi host should see existing VMFS without any problem.

If datastore doesn't appeare in the list, you need to look into vmkernel.log for any possible issues with mounting VMFS.

0 Kudos
hakimbhungrawal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear Finikiez,

It is not clustered server..

I already mentioned it is standalone host which is down due to some hardware issue so have presented the LUN to new individual host.

Regards,

Hakim. B

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

It doesn't matter for a datastore if you try to attach datastore to a standalone host or member of a HA\DRS cluster.

0 Kudos
gmbarros
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

After you add/map the datastore to the new standalone host, you must register the vms again on the new host.

To register the vms use the KB https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1006160

0 Kudos