VMware Cloud Community
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vmotion (migrate)

Hello,

I migrated a few machines to the new datastore and have a few questions.  This is vCenter/ESXi 6.5

1) when looking a particular machine on the "Datastores" tab, it listed the two entries of the datastores (new and old), but when you browsed the old datastore, you don't see the folder of the VM there any more.

2) On one VM, there is a folder remaining on the old datastore with a file vmname_2_vmkd.vmdk. The size is 653KB.

- This machine has 2 disks.  Originally I vmotion only one disk to the new datastore and kept the other disk at its original location.  Then I vmotion it again and bring back the final disk.

Thanks,

TT

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Do you have a ISO in your vCDROM assign from (non)existing Datastores? If yes this is the reason why you see (old) Datastore listed on the VM.

A 635KB file is way to large for a VMDK descriptor and to small for a name-flat.vmkd which starts at least with 16MB.  So its not clear what you leave behind.  What i have seen in the past are older (Helper) Snapshot files.

Regards,
Joerg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Do you have a ISO in your vCDROM assign from (non)existing Datastores? If yes this is the reason why you see (old) Datastore listed on the VM.

A 635KB file is way to large for a VMDK descriptor and to small for a name-flat.vmkd which starts at least with 16MB.  So its not clear what you leave behind.  What i have seen in the past are older (Helper) Snapshot files.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Have a look through all the VM settings (either via the GUI or the VMX file) to look for references to the old datastore.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Correct on this #1 listed. As soon as I changed the CD drive to client device, the old datastore went away.  I was at "Datastore ISO file" pointing to the old datastore.

0 Kudos