VMware Cloud Community
samipk
Contributor
Contributor

Vm are having issues reaching default gateway

I am using Esxi 6.0 and running a EVE-NG Vm inside it , the ip address of the VM is 192.168.31.22 and my default gateway is 192.168.31.1 which is my home router giving me internet.

The VM is running a tapology with Cisco Router and Juniper firewall, (picture attached in the end)

The router is attached directly to the .31 network with an ip of 192.168.31.164 and is able to access internet  as well as the gateway.

The Juniper firewall behind it or any device behind the router which has a private ip cant access the gateway or the internet, but they can all access the laptop I am using to access the VM which has an ip of 192.168.31.88(I have added static routes to the laptop)

I have NAT configured on Juniper firewall but not on the router as it acts weird when I do that.

Screenshot 2021-09-07 124235.png

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Hello, hope you are doing fine?
Super quick, do you have multiple ESXi hosts? do you have only one?
Are you using VLANs in the environment? is it possible that some VLAN is not tagged to the ESXi hosts?
Did you check the portgroup assigned to the .31.X VM?

0 Kudos
samipk
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply, I have no other Esxi host and no vlans in my setup and everything is using the Vlan0 and Vmnet3 is set in the virtual NiC instead of e1000. Port groups are also default.

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

I have read the issue and I think it's a routing issue.
If you configure static routes on the windows 7 VM.
can you reach the Gateway?

Also, are you sure you have configured internal gateways both on the Lan and DMZ ends 10.1 and/or 20.1?

0 Kudos
samipk
Contributor
Contributor

I am updating the picture in the main question to better reflect on the setup, here is whats going on

1. Lan and DMZ are both able to communicate with their gateways easily, I have zones & NAT configured in Firewall NAT for both of them.

2. Firewall is unable to ping internet or 31.1 unless I enable NAT on the router, but even if I do that the PC in lan or dmz are not effected and still cant access anything after their gateway.

3. I have tried using 2 different routes to no success.

192.168.31.0/24 with gateway as 192.168.31.122

192.168.31.0/24 with gateway as 192.168.99.1

I have the defautl route 0.0.0.0/0 set to 192.168.99.1

Its not the EVE-NG issue because I was having the same issue in GNS3.

Can this be an issue with the main gateway? but its just a basic Xiaomi home Wireless router.

0 Kudos
JulesWinfield
Contributor
Contributor

Just had the same exact problem.

I switched my network from Cloud0(Management) to NAT. Connectivity restored.

Wanna know why? Private IP addresses are not allowed on the internet. So you have to NAT it.

0 Kudos