VMware vSphere

View Only
  • 1.  Virtual machine has 255 or more redo logs.

Posted Dec 22, 2020 12:28 PM

Hi there,

I hope someone can help to solve this issue.

1) I cannot see any snapshots in snapshot manager

2) I cannot clone the VM, I get an error msg.disklib.TOOMANYREDO

3) VM is still working, but soon I will run out of disk space.

4 I tried to consolide log files and vSphere says consolidation complete but still no change.

• 2.  RE: Virtual machine has 255 or more redo logs.

Posted Dec 22, 2020 01:12 PM

My personal record so far was a VM with 250 snapshots!

To find out how to proceed, please provide the following information:

• free disk space on the datastore
    • are there other datastores with free disk space in case cloning the VM will become an option
    • how much downtime is possible

Please run ls -lisa > fillelist.txt in the VM's folder, then download this file from the datastore along with all .vmdk descriptor files. These are the small metadata .vmdk files (~1kB each). You may want to use e.g. WinSCP to download these files, because the datastore browser kind of hides them.
    Once downloaded, please compress/zip all downloaded files, and attach the .zip archive to your next reply.

André

• 3.  RE: Virtual machine has 255 or more redo logs.

Posted Dec 22, 2020 01:13 PM

The snapshots manager ui may not see the snapshots for the VM due to the snapshot db might have issues.

You can take ssh for the ESXi host and go to the path of the VM and check the number of files.

If you are seeing vmfilename-000254.vmdk - most likely you have VMs running on snapshot. you can also edit the vm settings and check the disk number for the VM which it is running on from gui.

In that case, you cannot take new snapshots to consilidate. you can try v2v conversion or clone VM using command line.

Ensure healthy backup of the VM is available 

thanks,

MS

• 4.  RE: Virtual machine has 255 or more redo logs.
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 22, 2020 06:53 PM

> 3) VM is still working, but soon I will run out of disk space.

Do not allow the VM to fill up the datastore - that will corrupt the data inside the latest snapshot.

If that can occur very soon - you must power off the VM as soon as possible for a couple of minutes.
    In that short downtime you would either copy latest delta to another datastore or add another snapshot manually.
    When that is done you can power on the VM again and relax a bit.
    While the VM is running on a snapshot in another datastore the next step is to use vmkfstools -i to clone parts of the chain into new consolidated basedisk. It may not be possible to clone snap 254 to a new disk. If that does not work you would try to clone snap100 for example.
    If necessary it is possible to get the situation resolved with a small number of 5 minutes downtime.

What ever you do - do not try a consolidation of the whole chain  while the VM is running -the risk is way too high.

When you dont act fast enough and the datastore is already filled up - it is very important to not answer the popup question: "VM is running out of space - do you want to continue - or abort ?"

Instead leave that popup  unanswered and free up space and only answer the question when additional space is available.

Ulli