VMware Cloud Community
risingflight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Virtual Machine Unable to poweron

Hi Experts

1. Unable to migrate the VM to another host. What could be possible reasons.

The reasons for this could be if the VM has a snapshot or if VM has RDM or if EVC mode is not enabled on the cluster. am i missing anything.

2. Unable to poweron virtual machine. what could be the reasons for not powering on. i am not sure on this.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello risingflight​,

There can be a wide range of reasons a VM cannot vMotion and more concerningly cannot power on - start with attempting to power it on, noting the error message when it fails to power on and looking at the latest vmware.log in the VMs namespace folder. Attach it here if possible.

Bob

0 Kudos
vmkfix-SSA
Contributor
Contributor

May be useful the below article.

I encountered the issue, while power on the VM, getting the below error on tasks/events.

" Power On virtual machine

Status

Unable to create virtual SCSI device for scsi1:0, '/vmfs/volumes/98745sdcg1-1e3e-jskll45/testvm/testvm_2.vmdk' Failed to start the virtual machine. Module DevicePowerOn power on failed "

https://vmkfix.blogspot.com/2023/05/unable-to-power-on-vm-vmware.html 

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@risingflight,

As mentioned before by @TheBobkin, the insights will be in the vmware.log file. In order to get it, do the following:

1. Connect to vSphere Client
  2. Go to the Datastore View
  3. Select the Datastore and click on Files tab
  4. Search for the VM Folder
  5. Download the vmware.log

You could also access to the ESXi over SSH to "/vmfs/volumes/DATASTORE_NAME/VMFOLDER/vmware.log" and read it from there using "tail/less/cat" or the tool of your choice.

0 Kudos