VMware Cloud Community
theasker11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Very Slow Deployment of VMs via VPN

Hi,

we have a ESXI server in Italy in our company network. And if i try to deploy a VM from a template with the Vsphere WebClient it works very good and is done in half an hour. But if someone tries to connect in Germany to our server in Germany via VPN he needs 18 hours to deploy only one template. I dont know why but before we had a vCenter Server and everything worked fine and fast in Germany and in Italy. But now we had to deinstall it because we didnt need the vcenter anymore. What could be the cause to this slow deployment??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

So get your Germany colleagues to RDP into a system in Italy and run the vSphere Client "local" to the ESXi host - exactly the principle I described above.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
26 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Templates are a function of vCenter Server, so now you cannot be using them how are you doing the deployment?

You also need to give more details as to where the source files are and where the destination hosts are, for the various things you're trying to do.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
theasker11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I deploy the templates with Vsphere Web Client -> Deploy from OVF Template.

The source files(templates) are all on on another Server in Itlay and I try to select the OVF file from there and get a full working VM on ESXI Host(in Italy). The problem is not that i cannot deploy the VMs, but that the deployment is only possible in Italy in our network and via VPN it lasts so long. Before the templates had been on a Win2012 Server where the vCenter had been installed, but after deinstalling we moved the templates to another server(NAS Server with only backups and templates).

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Templates in vcenter are stored locally, when your uploading an ovf template you have to copy everything, which over a vpn will take some time. It may be more optimal to have a jump host in or near the esxi server you can move the ovf file to first.

sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Also ovf template and vcenter template are different. Vcenter templates are basically virtual machines that are marked specically as a template which is why you can convert a vm to a template and back to a vm.

0 Kudos
theasker11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I understand the idea of what you wanted to say, but can you explain it better please

0 Kudos
theasker11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

but if i want to deploy a VM via VPN there is no faster workaroud without a jump server or something crazy complicated?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm not sure how else to describe it, off templates are deployed by uploading the ovf or ova template from your local machine. Vcenter templates are deployed from the server its self,so there is no upload after the template is created.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can't make the internet go faster then it can, that's why if you can get things as close to possible you don't have to worry about all these delays.

0 Kudos
theasker11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

or maybe it would be the best idea to install the vcenter server again and dont worry about allof this? thanks for the explaination, now i understand the problem

0 Kudos
theasker11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried to deploy a VM via VPN on the ESXI Server, but this error(Failed to deploy OVF Template: The request was aborted: The request was canceled) occurs all the time before the deployment can finish (ca.99%) and in the internet you can find only the same error but with the process was canceled by a user, but this is not my case. So I tried to do the same without the VPN directly in our network with the same VSphere Client Version (not Web Client) and everything worked fine.

Please help, I am stuckk!!

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Do you have any system or datastore at the remote site which you can transfer the OVF files to?

0 Kudos
theasker11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The OVF Files are on a server mounted to the ESXi, so they should be local or not?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you RDP into a system at the remote site and run the vSphere Client "locally" to the ESXi host, the OVF import would then happen within that site.

At the moment you are making the data copy twice - once from where the files are to your web browser system, then a second time from your web browser system to the ESXi host.

0 Kudos
theasker11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yea I understand that, but there is no way around to copy it only once if i am not locally in the network??

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, via an RDP session to run the vSphere Client AT the remote site.

0 Kudos
theasker11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If I connect from the machine in Germany to a machine in the network and do everything there on the vsphere client it would work?

Another question why do I get this weird error?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Like this:

Screenshot 2020-07-16 at 11.08.21.png

I cannot say "it will work", but it will be the best way of using your VPN connection based on everything you've said.

The "weird error" is most likely caused by you making the data copy twice across the VPN connection at the moment - do the above and it will not, your VPN connection will only be carrying the RDP session in this whole process.

0 Kudos
theasker11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

forum.pngno it is like this, do you understand??

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

What software is running on the "computer I want to test"?

Where do you actually want the OVF file to be deployed?

0 Kudos