VMware Cloud Community
RnKs
Contributor
Contributor

Vcenter vm-s with duplicate names

Hello!

I'm new here and this is my first post. If i violate any forum rules please forgive me this time.

I don't know if this is a bug or a feature, but i hoped i'd save some headache for people that i had, thinking my vcenter database is corrupted or something else is seriously flawed with my vcenter deployment (6.7 u3). At some point i discovered few virtual machines in my environment that had exactly the same name. Every article i found online described this situation as a flaw so that was my understanding as well.

In any case if you have similar problem then check the "Discovered virtual machine" folder - if you have a virtual machine in there, then the vcenter does not seem to care when you start creating a new one with same name. Simple as that. Is it a bug or a feature - i don't know, but hopefully someone with more experience and knowledge can explain this.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Hello and welcome to the community

Are you sure about the product's version? I test this matter now, in one of my virtualization environment with vCenter server 6.7 u3 and it prevented from adding same VM name! But you can create a new VM with the same name in another folder/location and it's natural.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

If you store VMs in different folders, they can indeed have the same names, similar as file names in a file system.

Doing this should be well considered though, as it may cause confusion in the inventory view, and also with the folder names where the VM's fiiles are stored.

André

0 Kudos