VMware Cloud Community
szondi91
Contributor
Contributor

Vcenter problems after power loss

Our UPS couldn't handle an power outage, so we experienced full power loss. We have 3 esxi server and one storage. After turning on everything first we thought everything is working perfectly. However at night veeam started giving us errors, no backup job was completed. Checking out the vcenter logs we see

Multiple remote login failures detected for ESXi local user account 'vpxuser'. VMware vCenter Server Appliance on host XXX is disconnected 
Host XXX is not responding

Vcenter, and the esxi server running vcenter were restarted. I also restarted the physical swtich too, but the problems persist

0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There is an area of VMTN for vSphere issues, as this doesn't seem to be anything to do with Skyline I've reported your thread asking moderators to move it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
The basic thing would be to test that the user vpxuser can login to the vcenter Server.

In the Veeam Console run some test backup with the user vpxuser through the vcenter server. If it fails try with the vcenter administrator user (just as a test).

Another test would be to disconnect the ESXi hosts from the vCenter Server, wait 3 or 5 min and reconnect them (requires root user and password) to the vCenter Server. Retest from Veeam some test backup with the user vpxuser.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
szondi91
Contributor
Contributor

I disconnected then reconnected the esxi server. After that I could finish an incremental backup job succesfully. However after launching multiple backups it failed most of them. In vcenter I can see  host connection failure and

Multiple remote login failures detected for ESXi local user account 'vpxuser'.
Cannot synchronize host XXX.
0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
Check the network between the vcenter Server (if physical) and the ESXi Host.
Check the network between the Veeam Server and the vCenter Server.
Check on the port of the physical switch where the ESXi server is connected if the errors are high, if you can reset the error counter on that port to zero and see if they increase in a short time when you try to perform test backups from Veeam.
Keep a constant ping between the vcenter server and the esxi host, run a test backup from Veeam.
If all these tests are normal, but the backup problems with the ESXi host continue. Think about reinstalling the ESXi host from scratch.
What version and build of vcenter server and ESXi host are you using. Include the version of Veeam

Enrique Espinel
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
ShoHRock
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

this is not the error message related to your backup issue. What is your main concern? backups not happening? if yes then just remove the veem from vcenter & add it back.

0 Kudos
szondi91
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI &vSphere 6.5.0, Veeam 9.5. On the physical switch I cant see any tx/rx error, after almost 24 hours of pinging I can see zero or 1-2 timeout. In vcenter sometimes I can see that one of our esxi is disconnected for maybe 10 seconds, but the pinging is working. Tomorrow I will try to make a full restart after working hours

After manually reconnecting our 2 esxi I can finish 2-3 backup job, but after that the problems reappear in the event log and the backups will timeout.

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
Try removing Veeam from the vCenter Server, then restarting the vcenter server to reinstall and configure it.

Validate the levels from the following link

Veeam Backup & Replication support for VMware vSphere

https://www.veeam.com/kb2443

Enrique Espinel
0 Kudos