VMware Cloud Community
mathewdsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vcenter DRS

Hi guys. If I move vms to a different ESX host and power down the host that has the Vcenter on it, will that still allow the second host to stay up with all VMs running? Also, can the Vcenter VM itself be migrated?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

VMs depend on the host they are running on, not vCenter Server, so yes, the VMs on the second host will not be affected by shutting down vCenter and/or the first host.

Whether you can migrate the vCenter Server VM depends on your license. With Essentials Plus, or better you can live migrate VMs (including the vCenter Server VM).

If you don't have vMotion licensed (e.g. with an Essentials Kit license), you can shut down vCenter Server on the first host, unregistered it from the first host's inventory, and then register it on the second host's inventory.

The above assumes that the vCenter Server VM is stored on shared storage.

André

View solution in original post

2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

VMs depend on the host they are running on, not vCenter Server, so yes, the VMs on the second host will not be affected by shutting down vCenter and/or the first host.

Whether you can migrate the vCenter Server VM depends on your license. With Essentials Plus, or better you can live migrate VMs (including the vCenter Server VM).

If you don't have vMotion licensed (e.g. with an Essentials Kit license), you can shut down vCenter Server on the first host, unregistered it from the first host's inventory, and then register it on the second host's inventory.

The above assumes that the vCenter Server VM is stored on shared storage.

André

mathewdsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you so much. I'm fairly new to vsphere. I know my company has Enterprise Plus as the license version.

0 Kudos