VMware Cloud Community
baszek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vcenter 5.5 - VM starts automatically after power off

Hi,

I have old vcenter 5.5 env and noticed power off issues for some VMs - when I try to power off VM it just starts back again after 10 seconds - Power on virtual machine Initiated by Administrator. Is it some bug ? I have solved last time the same issue changing Power Management option to "Suspend the virtual machine" + power off VM and fast Remove from Inventory + add back to Inventory from VMs vmx. Right now I have VM where it does not work. VM is in HA cluster so "Virtual Machine Startup and Shutdown" is disabled for ESXi. Tried:

•   Re-enable HA + DRS
  • Disable "enable individual virtual machine automation levels
  • Disable all from RUN Vmware Tools scripts tab in VM settings

nothing helps - any ideas ?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Is it possible that VMs are configured to start automatically?

VMware Knowledge Base

Starting Virtual Machines automatically under VMware ESXi - Thomas-Krenn-Wiki

Hope that works

Warm regards

0 Kudos
baszek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nope - VM Startup/Shutdown option is disabled. All Vms set to Manual startup + "if the host is part of A Vsphere HA cluster, the automatic startup and shutdown of virtual machines is disabled"

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Do you have turbonomics running?
Is it possible that some script is working with your vCenter?

Do you have the ability to change administrator@vsphere.local credentials temporaly?

0 Kudos
baszek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nope I dont have turbonomics. I thought also that it might be some script - but I have found right now some events just before power on:

Virtual machine XXXX in cluster CL1 in

XXXX_VCluster is vSphere HA Protected and HA

will attempt to restart it after a failure.

info

04/09/2020 16:21:23

XXXX

Alarm 'vSphere HA virtual machine failover failed'

on XXXX changed from Gray to Green

info

04/09/2020 16:21:14

XXXX

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Something odd with HA if it is starting VMs that you are powering down, it may help if you post a screenshot of the HA settings of your cluster. You might also want to check things such as your host isolation and heartbeat settings and networks...

One side note: If you are running anything like production workloads on this setup you should consider upgrading to at least 6.5 - your setup is no longer supported.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Agree, might be that application/VM monitoring is enabled?

0 Kudos
baszek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM monitoring is disabled, but maybe I will try to re-enable HA for cluster once again (I was also trying it).

0 Kudos