VMware Cloud Community
GlyndeIT
Contributor
Contributor

VSphere Replication 6.5 Enterprise to Essentials

Hi,

We currently have a 4 CPU VSphere 6.5 Enterprise licence which includes replication, we also have for our dev setup a VSphere Essentials 6CPU licence which does not include replication, I want to know if we can run replication from the Enterprise to the Essentials setups I have tried searching around both the VMware site and the web but have ended up more confused than ever.

Would someone be able to let me know if this is possible please?

Kind regards

Simon Fox

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

According to vSphere Replication Licensing the minimum required license for vSphere Replication to work is "Essentials Plus".

André

0 Kudos
GlyndeIT
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

I saw that but I was not able to confirm that both ends of the setup needed to be replication capable or if the only the source system needed to be, so that I can replicate from the Enterprise system to the essentials system.

Does anybody have any experience in trying this?

Kind regards

Simon

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I've done this ages ago, and since you have to have vSphere Replication appliances on both ends, I had to have the correct licenses at both sides.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

From the vSphere Replication User Guide, p. 15

You cannot use vSphere Replication to replicate virtual machines on ESXi hosts that do not have the correct vSphere license. If you install vSphere Replication on an ESXi host that does not have the correct license and try to configure replication for virtual machines on that host, the replication fails with a licensing error.

0 Kudos