VMware Cloud Community
wmadden
Contributor
Contributor

VSphere 7: Administrator role accidentally removed

Hi. I am running VSphere 7.0.2 with 2x ESX hosts. I have been having issues with deploying OVF template machines. From the main view the option is greyed out, from the resource view under subfolders the option is available, but when I launch the wizard I recieve the below error. I understand there is a known error for this in 6.5r1 to be fixed using the ts properties file, and that it should not be relevant to v7. If this is likely to have the same fix, where could I find the default ts properties config file with which to replace the running one? If not, what is the correct way to go about assigning permission for users to deploy OFV to a resource?

OVF errorOVF error

I had been creating a new role with the necesary permissions for OVF deployment (https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.vm_admin.doc/GUID-4D0F8E63-2961-4B7...), and rather than adding the additional role to my Administrators group I seem to have overwritten the role, effectively removing our admin users from the ability to Administer the server. Before I make any changes - is it possible, and if so what is the safest way to restore this permission? I suspect if I remove the Administratoir user below from the Administrators group, it will be able to change the role back - but as is it is not able to, and I don't want to make it worse! Is there a way to use the root user from the CLI to re-assign the role?

Role assignmentRole assignment

TIA.

0 Kudos
0 Replies