VMware Cloud Community
abhilashhm
Contributor
Contributor

VROPS automated action failed to run on VM

Dear community member,

I am facing an issue during automating an action in vROPS. I have created an action which would add the CPU if a VM has > 80% CPU usage. When the alert is thrown, the tasks are initialized but on vSphere the task fails with an error for Guest OS shutdown "A general system error occurred: Invalid fault". Kindly provide your insight on this:

1. VROPS Alerts triggered:

pastedImage_1.png

2. VROPS: Task failed:

pastedImage_2.png

Error: Unexpected exception, trace-back:[Traceback (most recent call last):   File "/usr/lib/vmware-vcops/user/plugins/inbound/PythonRemediationVcenterAdapter3/scripts/reconfigureCommon.py", line 213, in shutdownGuestAndWait     virtualMachine.ShutdownGuest()   File "/usr/lib/vmware-vcops/user/plugins/inbound/PythonRemediationVcenterAdapter3/scripts/pySupport.zip/pyVpx/pyVmomi/VmomiSupport.py", line 542, in <lambda>     self.f(*(self.args + (obj,) + args), **kwargs)   File "/usr/lib/vmware-vcops/user/plugins/inbound/PythonRemediationVcenterAdapter3/scripts/pySupport.zip/pyVpx/pyVmomi/VmomiSupport.py", line 351, in _InvokeMethod     return self._stub.InvokeMethod(self, info, args)   File "/usr/lib/vmware-vcops/user/plugins/inbound/PythonRemediationVcenterAdapter3/scripts/pySupport.zip/pyVpx/pyVmomi/SoapAdapter.py", line 1201, in InvokeMethod     raise obj # pylint: disable-msg=E0702 vmodl.fault.SystemError: (vmodl.fault.SystemError) {    dynamicType = <unset>,    dynamicProperty = (vmodl.DynamicProperty) [],    msg = 'A general system error occurred: Invalid fault',    faultCause = <unset>,    faultMessage = (vmodl.LocalizableMessage) [],    reason = 'Invalid fault' } ]

3. vSphere: Task failed:

pastedImage_0.png

Tags (2)
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Can you shut down this VM manually from vCenter using the Guest OS Shutdown functionality? If the answer is "no" then neither can vROps. Look at the logs to see why.

abhilashhm
Contributor
Contributor

Dear daphnissov,

Yes, I am able to shutdown the machine using vSphere/vCenter via Guest OS shutdown functionality. And even from vROPs I am able to use add CPU count option manually. But the automated action fails to perform shutdown as a part of "Add CPU count to VM" action.

So, to summarize:

1. "Shut Down Guest OS" from vCenter using menu option works:

pastedImage_1.png

2. "Set CPU Count and Memory for VM" option in vROPS works, so it shutsdown the VM and updates the CPU count and memory successfully:

pastedImage_3.png

3. "Set CPU count and Memory for VM" action when automated to be performed when an alert is triggered fails. The images from the post and logs are from this failure.

0 Kudos