VMware Cloud Community
Karan9650
Contributor
Contributor

VMware vSphere Essentials Plus Kit Offering-Need help in understanding for DC & DR setup.

Hello There,

Hope everyone is keeping safe & healthy !

I was curious to know more about VMware vSphere Essentials Plus Kit understand this is primarily designed for requirements where the VM-ware cluster is max upto 6 sockets. Just wanted to have your insights around in a 3 server scenario-2 @ DC and 1 @ DR with 2 sockets on each host machine, how exactly will this be deployed or work. Also lets say I add on more hosts either @ DC or DR, can I still do the management via a single vCenter server or do I need to upgrade my existing licenses or buy new one. Please guide with Do's and Don'ts  for the same.

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
dimyke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

If you want to add more hosts, you will need a new vCenter license as your current license only allows for 3 hosts and a specific amount of CPUs.
So when you add a 4th node you will need 2 new licenses. 1 for the ESXi and then a new one for vCenter (as the vCenter is licensed to manage 3 nodes max). I don't think it is possible to ugprade an essentials kit license to something higher but I am not sure.
I remember reading this somewhere.

How 'it' will be deployed and how 'it' will work is a question you need to ask yourself. You or your partner need to design/configure/deploy the environment as per your needs...
But to answer: ESXi will be  installed on the 3 nodes and a vCenter appliance will be deployed on one of the nodes.
For example you could install ESXi with the ISO through the IPMI console of the server.
Then from a jumphost you can deploy vCenter on your ESXi.

Kind regards
Dimitri

e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
Attached is a link about VMware licenses.
https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsphere/vmware-vsphere-pr...

VMware vSphere Essentials Plus kit includes 2 licenses, one VMware vSphere Essentials Plus license for 6 CPUs (3 hosts with 2 sockets each) and one vCenter Server Essentials license.

The vCenter Server Essentials can only manage up to 3 VMware vSphere Essentials.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.