VMware Cloud Community
DanDiego
Contributor
Contributor

VMware vSphere 6.5 - reactivate evaluation license

Conducted a demonstration a year or so ago to a customer, then COVID-19... The customer wants to see the demo the demo again - how do I reactivate the VMware vSphere 6.5 evaluation license; currently only able to access VMware vSphere 7.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

By default there's no evaluation license, but the 60-day evaluation starts right after a new installation.

André

0 Kudos
DanDiego
Contributor
Contributor

Good to now, thanks. Is there a way to keep v6.5 installed and kickstart the 60-day deal? If not, what's the recommended uninstall -> install process? Sorry for the bother, Dan.

0 Kudos
vXav
Expert
Expert

There was a trick that worked in 5.x to restart the evaluation period. Never tried in 6.x though.

CP /etc/vmware/license.cfg /etc/vmware/license.cfg.old
CP /etc/vmware/.#license.cfg /etc/vmware/license.cfg
/etc/init.d/vpxa restart
/etc/init.d/vpxa status
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Although it may technically be possible to do this, it likely vialoates the EULA.
Evaluation for a product is usually granted for X days. If a longer eval period is required, the official way would be to contact a VMware sales representative, and ask for an extension.

André

0 Kudos
vXav
Expert
Expert

Fair enough you're absolutely right. Although when I gave the tip it goes without saying that it is to be used only as a very short term workaround (facilitate a migration, unblock a situation ...).

0 Kudos
DanDiego
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly, hit the nail on the head - I need to resurrect a demo (without spending too much time & $$$) - I'll let you know if this works, hope to get into the office today (might be tomorrow)... Thanks for the support!

0 Kudos
DanDiego
Contributor
Contributor

Not successful - I do not have vCLI / dCLI installed on the Windows machine - I downloaded and installed, discovered a Perl dependency (downloaded & installed Perl), still no joy. attempts to start DCLI fail silently.

How do access a CLI to try those commands?

I'm able to access the Host using Chrome (and its IP Address); I see the VMs... - using the browser view.

I seem to be digging a deep hole!

thx

0 Kudos
vXav
Expert
Expert

Just use the local shell or via ssh

0 Kudos
DanDiego
Contributor
Contributor

I'm struggling with opening a shell / ssh - I have the Server with VMware (6.5) installed and a Windows physical machine that is able to connect using Chrome - I see the Host and VMs (the old vSphere view).

Should I use putty to ssh over to the Server? I'm guessing: use Putty???

All I want to do is open a "command window"!!!!

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@DanDiego 

Re-install ESXi rather than violate the EULA.

If you work for a VMware partner you can request licenses for demos and other customer-centric work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos