SCIJLW
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Tools 11.2.0 New Time Provider

Running vSphere 6.7 U3l and upgraded our VMtools to 11.2.0 and started getting this filling our logs:

"The time provider 'vmwTimeProvider' logged the following error: A precision clock device was not found"

The Precision Clock device isn't even available in 6.7, and this is annoying to say the least.  The main thing is, can this message be ignored or is there some underlying issue with having the VMware Time Provider feature enabled on VMware Tools and not have it available or configured in the VM?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vbondzio
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Why select the provider if you don't have a PTP device though? The requirement in https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Tools/11.2.0/vmware-tools-user-guide.pdf states:

Configuring VMware Time Provider for Windows

A new time provider plugin vmwTimeProvider is provided for Microsoft Windows native time synchronization service 'W32Time' running inside vSphere VMs. The plugin interacts with precision clock virtual device to provide underlying ESXi host time, as an alternative to NTP and Active Directory based time sources.

Prerequisites

Ensure to add a precision clock virtual device to the VM before using the vmwTimeProvider plugin

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your use case?

0 Kudos
SCIJLW
Contributor
Contributor

The question is more around if the feature is installed but not used, outside of the log entries is there any detriment?  The recent upgrade of Tools added this feature without us knowing it until we saw the logs getting full of the aforementioned entries, and my question is more around do I have to touch all my servers and remove this feature or can we just ignore the log entries.

0 Kudos
vbondzio
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

w32time will fall back to whatever is configured (e.g. NTP), so there is no impact besides the message. The log "spew" is odd though, it should only be logged once upon plugin load ... can you export your event logs (txt), zip it up and send it to me via email? myusername at vmware dot com

0 Kudos
Tibmeister
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry, it's been kinda crazy fighting some fires.  I will try to get the logs, but it looks like each server is several times a day.

0 Kudos