VMware Cloud Community
Technocratix
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Migration to New Hardware

I have a simple setup involving two old hosts running ESXi 6.5, connected via DAS to a Dell StorageVault, and I'm replacing all that equipment with a three host cluster running VMware Essentials Plus Kit vSphere 7.0 soon, also using DAS to a new Dell storage solution. Would the recommended migration path for the servers in this scenario be to add the new hosts one at a time to the old Vcenter, and then would I be licensing the old vCenter with the new Essentials Plus licensing to allow vMotion (we didn't have that before), and use it to live migrate the VMs over to the new storage? Thanks!

Labels (1)
  • i

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

vCenter Server cannot manage newer host, so the first step would be to upgrade vCenter Server to version 7.0.

Then - with the 3 hosts maximum in mind - you may create a new cluster, and add one of the new hosts. Once things are properly configured (storage access, EVC mode, vMotion, ...), you may then start using the migration wizard to "Migrate both, compute and storage" to the new host.
Once one of the old hosts has been evacuated, remove it from vCenter, so that you can add the next new host, and continue migrating the VMs.

André

Technocratix
Contributor
Contributor

I believe this is referred to as a swing migration, is that correct? And because of the 3 host limit of Essentials, I would only be able to add one host at a time before removing the old hosts, correct?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

To be honest, I never heard "swing migration", but independent of the wording, yes, it's because of the 3 hosts maximum with Essentials licensing.

André

0 Kudos
Technocratix
Contributor
Contributor

Great, thanks so much! Is there any recommended practices to detail when upgrading the vCenter Server? Like taking a snapshot of it first, etc? I'm sure the upgrade process goes smoothly normally but just in case it doesn't....

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> I'm sure the upgrade process goes smoothly ..
Well, users already reported several issue with current versions, so I'd strongly recommend that you either have a recent backup, and/or take a snapshot prior to starting the update. I usually take a snapshot in the powered off state.

What you want to verify is that forward, and reverse DNS for the vCenter Server appliance resolves properly, and that your NTP server (in case you use one) is available. Also ensure that the "root" password (for VAMI access) has not expired.

André

0 Kudos
Technocratix
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that! Are you able to point me towards any support articles or postings that reference these "several issues" you were mentioning? To keep in mind going forward.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I didn't bookmark the posts, but you should be able to find some here in the forums. However, for upgrades without issues you won't find any posts (obviously), and I'm pretty sure that it's the majority of upgrades which work well.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not recommending against upgrading, it's just that you could run into issues, and should therefore have a strategy for a roll-back.

André

0 Kudos
Technocratix
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks! I'll definitely make sure I take a snapshot in that powered-off state and make sure it's backed up properly also.

0 Kudos