VMware Cloud Community
ITMgrWynne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Licensing

I am a little confused with our licenses for VMware. I have reached out to VMware License Support and only got more confused. We currently are running 1 vCenter with 2 Hosts running VMware ESXi, 6.7.0, 14320388. Any help clarifying would be appreciated.

VMware is wanting me to renew 3 different set of license but it seems like some are duplicates or old. Here is what license we have:

1. Production Support Coverage VMware vSphere 5 Essentials Plus Kit for 3 hosts

2. Basic Support Coverage VMware vCenter Server 7 Standard for vSphere 7

3. Production Support Coverage VMware vSphere 7 Enterprise Plus for 1 processor

0 Kudos
17 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

What do you have licensed in vCenter Server? In other words, which license are your hosts using?

I would expect that you are using Essentials Plus?

ITMgrWynne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@depping 

vmware1.png

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

that is a bit surprising as you have support for 1 license? how many processors do you have? It is rather confusing to be honest.

e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
You should only hire support and subscription for what you are using (version 6.7 or 7.0). From what you indicate would be:
VMware vShere vCenter Standard                            Qty 1
VMware vSphere 7 Enterprise Plus for 1 prossesor   Qty 4
I am assuming that your 2 servers only have 2 prossessors each.

If your support and subscription contract is in effect, you will only need to renew it. If it is expired, ask for a quote to know how much it would cost to activate and renew it.

VMware vSphere licenses do not expire, only the support and subscription contract has time to expire
The support and subscription contract is usually for 1, 3 or 5 years.
The support and subscription contract entitles you to VMware support and updates, patches and new versions for the duration of the contract.
Details of your licenses and their dates can be found at My VMware.

Attached are links to licenses and their types and features.

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsphere/vmware-vsphere-pr...

Remember that it is renewed or sold in version 7, but you can downgrade to version 6.

The Essentials Plus Kit contains one vCenter server license (Essentials) and six licenses for VMware vSphere Essentials
With vCenter Essencials you can only manage up to 3 servers with VMware vSphere Essencials.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
ITMgrWynne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@depping 

@e_espinel 

Here is what both Hosts have for Processors:

processor1.png

And vCenter Licensing

<Moderator Notice: Removed picture of license key>

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Which licenses do you have in your MyVMware portal, and do the license keys match the ones used for vCenter, and the ESXi hosts?

Please do not post license keys!

André

ITMgrWynne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@a_p_ 

@e_espinel 

@depping 

Yes the keys in the My VMware Portal match the keys for my vCenter and my 2 ESXi Hosts.

My vCenter license is vCenter Server 6 Standard 

My ESXi Hosts are VMware vSphere 6 Enterprise Plus

Here is what My VMware shows for contracts:

contracts1.png

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The licenses may be named s.th. like "...for 1 processor". What's important is the number of CPUs for which the licenses have been purchased. A single license can have different capacities. Please take a look at the licenses in the portal and check their capacity.

If you don't use  the Essentials Kit licenses anymore, you don't need to renew it.
So from what you wrote so far, I assume that you are currently using 1 instance of vCenter Server Standard, and 4 Enterprise plus licenses for the ESXi hosts. Theses are the ones which you may want to renew, if you want.

André

ITMgrWynne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@a_p_ 

@e_espinel 

@depping 

From  what My VMware shows I should be good until March 2021, correct?

contracts12.png

0 Kudos
ITMgrWynne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@a_p_ 

Also, I don't see Essentials Kit anywhere in my vCenter or Hosts, what is Essentials? How would I know if I am using it. It looks like to me I am only using VMware vSphere 6 Enterprise Plus and VMware vCenter Server 6 Standard. 

So do I also need the VMware vSphere 7 Enterprise Plus and VMware vCenter Server 7 Standard? 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

VMware offers low priced vSphere Essentials  Kits (Essentials, and Essentials Plus) with limited features, that includes a license for vCenter Server, and 6 CPUs for a maximum of 3 hosts with up to 2 CPUs each.

Anyway, the licenses that show up in the portal are either incorrect (compared to what you mentioned that you have), or you are simply over-licensed, i.e you've purchased more licenses than needed. Maybe you should start finding out what exactly has been purchased, to ensure that you don't pay for SnS on licenses that you don't actively use, or plan to use.

André

ITMgrWynne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@a_p_ 

The only licenses I plan on using are:

vCenter Server 6 Standard for vCenter

VMware vSphere 6 Enterprise Plus for ESXi Hosts

So I guess I am confused why it shows licenses for both 6 and 7?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> So I guess I am confused why it shows licenses for both 6 and 7?

You are not alone 😉

André

e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.

According to the table of your licenses registered in VMware (My Vmware), the support and subscription contracts are valid until March 2021.

Remember that licenses do not expire, what expires and has a life period is the support and subscription contract. The S&S contract entitles you to support and updates at VMware.

You have 2 licenses in version 6 with support basic and subscription (contract).

VMware vcenter Server Standard

VMware vSphere Enterprise Plus For 1 Prossesro (Total 6)

Additionally you also have 2 licenses in version 7 with support for production and subscription.

VMware vcenter Server Standard VMware vSphere Enterprise Plus For 1 Prossesro (Total 6).

You should only renew the support and subscription contracts of what you are currently using.

It is not clear if you are using a single vcenter server 6.7 and 2 servers (Host ESXi) 6.7 (which would be 4 licenses of VMware vSphere for 1 Prossesor) why so many licenses were acquired or the support and subscription contracts were renewed.

I suggest you read carefully the link you send about licenses so that you can choose what type of renovation is the most appropriate for your environment.

VMware vSphere Compute Virtualization Licensing, pricing and packaging  (WH I T E P A P E R – SEPTEMBER 2020)

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsphere/vmware-vsphere-pr...

Enrique Espinel
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
ITMgrWynne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@e_espinel 

@a_p_ 

@depping 

VMware did not give me an option renew VMware vCenter Server 6 Standard  or VMware vSphere 6 Enterprise Plus.

The quote VMware sent me was for VMware vCenter Server 7 Standard and VMware vSphere 7 Enterprise Plus

So I am guessing I should go ahead with version 7 so I am covered. Does that sound correct?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Don't worry, it's always the current version that will be mentioned in the renewal.
Having active SnS allows you to up- or downgrade the licenses in your MyVMware portal to the version that you need.

André

e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.

The End of General support for vSphere 6.7 will be on October 15, 2022.

End of General Support for vSphere 6.0 (66977)

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/66977

Both the licenses and the support and subscription contract are purchased for the current version (Version 7) this is VMware policy. This does not mean that you should immediately migrate to version 7, at least you can stay on version 6.7 a while longer.

You should start planning to migrate to version 7 as long as your hardware and applications are supported on this version.

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/services/support/vmware-basic-supp...

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/support/vmware-production.pdf

Enrique Espinel