VMware Cloud Community
chris18en
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Converter Export Machine to Files

Hi,

(I'm pretty new in Virtualisation so please be patient.)

I have a Windows Server Machine that I want to virtualize.

So I've downloaded the VMware Converter and installed it.

The Problem is:

At this time i don't have a ESXI Machine so I can't convert it directly to that machine. (VMWARE Infrastructure virtual machine)

I want to export this machine into files, Create a ESXI with VMware vSphere 6 Essentials Kit (on the same machine) and import the original machine.

How can I do this?

- Chris

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

With Converter you have two options regarding the target: ESXi / vSphere  or Workstation.
If you select Workstation you can produce a Workstation VM - this will allow you to import the newly created VM to ESXi at a later time.

0 Kudos
chris18en
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thank you for your answer!

I converted the Server to a Workstation File (vmdk and vmx File) an Uploaded at to the new created ESXI and installed it.

But when i want to start the VM i get the following Errors:

Power On virtual machine:Failed to open disk scsi0:0: Unsupported or invalid disk type 7. Ensure that the disk has been imported.

What can i do now?

- Chris

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Did you use Converter again to import from Workstation to ESXi ?
This should take care of this.
The Workstation vmdk-type is not supported on ESXi therefor you either convert it using VMware Converter or
use vmkfstools -i incompatibe-WS.vmdk esxi-compatible.vmdk

0 Kudos