VMware Cloud Community
cemago
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Cluster license

Hi,

I would like to ask for some help/clarification about licenses since VMware are not being very helpful.

We bought a Dell VRTX which compacts a chassis with 4 servers and a shared storage all in one. It does not use vSAN for the Hosts to access the shared storage. They are presented as Virtual Disks

We have installed VMware ESXi in the Hosts and used vCenter to create the Cluster, Hosts and Virtual Machines. We have assigned the correct license to each Hosts and vCenter. But, the Cluster is still asking for a license.

We do not use vSAN in the VRTX or vCenter. Why would the Cluster still ask for a license in vCenter? I have asked this question twice to VMware with different replies, and telling me to contact Dell. But, this is a VMware license issue.

Why would vCenter ask for a Cluster license when we are not using vSAN?

Cesar

0 Kudos
7 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Please show what you mean and what you have assigned. Be sure not to reveal any of your license keys.

0 Kudos
cemago
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Daphnissov,

Thanks for your answer.

I have applied the license to vCenter (snapshot 1), and the Hosts (snapshot 2). The License Expiration is showing Never.

The Cluster license is showing Evaluation License (snapshot 3), but I am not using any vSAN. I disable this option when I created the Cluster in vCenter and I have not set up any vSAN.

According to VMWare website the Cluster only requires a license if vSAN is being used. This is why I don't understand why I am still asked to enter a license.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

What do Solutions have? Do you have other services registered here? Also, I noticed you have not installed vCenter with FQDN, and you really should as this is a best practice. Same thing with hosts; don't add them via IP but use FQDN. With that said, it's pretty pointless to redact portions of a private IP address so don't bother Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Can you select the Mes_Cluster entry and scroll down a little bit?

I have my vSAN licensed clusters listed there but it clearly say "vSAN" when you have only Evaluation. Otherwise can you check the list of all of your licenses?

But to answer your question... no you need nothing special for normal vCenter/ESXi like the licenses you have to get HA Cluster working.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
cemago
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Joerg,

Thanks for the reply. This is what the Cluster license is showing. I am using RAID 1 and RAID 10, not 5 or 6.

Regards,

Cesar

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Ah ok... its now clearly a vSAN Evaluation license.   It looks like that you have enabled vSAN by accident. Iam not sure how to disable it.... i need my vSANs Smiley Happy

Can you create a new Cluster and move your 4 Hosts into it and than try to remove MES_Cluster.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
cemago
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Joerg,

But, the vSAN is already Turn Off in the Cluster in vCenter. That's why I don't understand why it is asking me for a license.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos