VMware Cloud Community
noufal1
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Capcity Planing for CPU

Hi

I wanted to get information about CPU capacity Planing Vsphere enviorment .

Purchase of new hardware ,what is the ratio of VCPU assingment or any cappacity planing tool for CPU assingnment 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thread reported so a moderator can move it to the vSphere area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Unless you have a partner who may be able to make a reliable guess, you may take a look at an assessment tool. One that - unless I'm mistaken - can be used for free is Dell's LifeOptics.

André

0 Kudos
SGPSOCYJ
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

It really depends on what you are doing in this planning, are you doing a tech refresh or are you doing a consolidation or are you doing a physical to virtual migration?

For tech refresh and consolidation it would be pretty straight forward, you can use any of the free tools available such as RVtools to get a report.

If physical to virtual migration will be more tricky, you will need to look at your physical server how many % of CPU is being used. Next you will need to know what is the clock speed of the CPU and how many core and threads. Lastly you will need to know your application behavior is it a single or multi threaded application.

Putting all this together give you the information you need but this is no means an easy exercise, if you have an IT partner would be better to get your IT partner to do it for you.

PSO SEAK
0 Kudos