VMware Cloud Community
xlwoon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMs with hard disks in more than one datastore (Add hard disk fails / unexpected behaviour)

Hi,

Does anyone have any insight into this?:

Hardware: HP DL360e gen8

ESXi: HPE-ESXi-6.0.0-Update2-iso-600.9.6.5.7 (Hewlett Packard Enterprise) -- afaik the latest supported version for this machine

I have 2 datastores on the host:

- a 500G RAID1, let's call it datastore-small (where ESXi is installed)

- a 18T RAID5, let's call it datastore-big

Working via the VMware host client:

I have a machine whose disk is on datastore-small, and my objective is to add a second hard disk that is on datastore-big.

The procedure is fairly straightforward: clicking Edit settings > Add hard disk > New hard disk, choosing datastore-big, SCSI controller, thin provisioned, etc.

When the disk is added, it's on datastore-small

Oddly enough, if I create a machine whose disk is on datastore-big and try to add a new disk on datastore-small, the new disk is added to datastore-big and I can't get it on the other datastore.

If I delete the disk, move the .vmdk files manually to the other datastore and try to add it as an existing disk, it gets recognised as a thick provisioned disk and is subjected to the size limits of the datastore where it was created (and not where it resides)

If I try to create a machine that has a disk in each datastore, the configuration is rejected with:

State

Failed - File [datastore1*] Testmachine/Testmachine1.vmdk was not found

(*corresponding to the datastore chosen for the second hard disk in the configuration)

Does anyone know what might be going on?

Thanks,

Michael

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This might be either a bug or strange behavior in the host client, so first thing I'd try is to update it with the latest available on the fling site.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This might be either a bug or strange behavior in the host client, so first thing I'd try is to update it with the latest available on the fling site.

0 Kudos
xlwoon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think you were right on the money with that, it works perfectly now. Thank you!

0 Kudos