VMware Cloud Community
jchilton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMs power on unexpectently

Can anyone help me understand why several VMs power on unexpectedly after i Guest shutdown or power off?

I've ran out of ideas. There is no autostart configured on the host or vCenter. I've checked View Manager for power settings on the remote desktops. I've tried re-registering the VM and teh esxi host again but no joy.  There are no gaps or anything apparent in the vmx files. Its a real pain - pse help.

I'm running esxi v6.0Up1 on a single host managed by vCenter (don't ask) so I can run 8 VDI desktops with dedicated NVIDIA GPU for a unique use case.   The VMs were in a vApp container until i found out that Horizon doesn't support vApps so could it be that a config setting is causing this issue??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jchilton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Martin, you got me thinking about session management and I came across this article in View.  I've got 4 users who share 8 VMs on an occasional basis so I wonder if it keeps these 4 VMs on permanently.....ermm

"You can create a pool that contains a single machine when a user requires a unique, dedicated desktop, or when, at different times, multiple users must access a costly application with a single-host license.

About this task

You can provision an individual machine in its own pool by creating a manual desktop pool and selecting a single machine.

To mimic a physical computer that can be shared by multiple users, specify a floating assignment for the users entitled to access the pool.

Whether you configure the single-machine pool with dedicated or floating assignment, power operations are initiated by session management. The virtual machine is powered on when a user requests the desktop and powered off or suspended when the user logs off.

If you configure the Ensure machines are always powered on policy, the virtual machine remains powered on. If the user shuts down the virtual machine, it immediately restarts"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
illvilja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Have you configured any number of available machines? If it's set to 8, View will insist that 8 VMs stay powered on.

Is the View agent installed in the VMs? If you try and logon and do a shut down, will the VM still auto power on?

0 Kudos
jchilton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No available machines. I've configured manual desktops only, auto assignment for up to 8 users to log in via 8 zero clients.

0 Kudos
jchilton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

View Agent is installed on the VMs. They were originally restored from another host using VEEAM but half of the VMs are fine. Don't understand. 

0 Kudos
jchilton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Where is the setting for available machines? 

0 Kudos
jchilton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Martin, you got me thinking about session management and I came across this article in View.  I've got 4 users who share 8 VMs on an occasional basis so I wonder if it keeps these 4 VMs on permanently.....ermm

"You can create a pool that contains a single machine when a user requires a unique, dedicated desktop, or when, at different times, multiple users must access a costly application with a single-host license.

About this task

You can provision an individual machine in its own pool by creating a manual desktop pool and selecting a single machine.

To mimic a physical computer that can be shared by multiple users, specify a floating assignment for the users entitled to access the pool.

Whether you configure the single-machine pool with dedicated or floating assignment, power operations are initiated by session management. The virtual machine is powered on when a user requests the desktop and powered off or suspended when the user logs off.

If you configure the Ensure machines are always powered on policy, the virtual machine remains powered on. If the user shuts down the virtual machine, it immediately restarts"

0 Kudos