VMware Cloud Community
kfkchatt
Contributor
Contributor

VMs losing IP

I am running two hosts 6.5

Vcenter server appliance

I have created several new windows 10 64bit VMs for use.  however after using machines for a number of days now the machines lose their ip address seemingly random.  After summary tab indicates that the ip address is no longer there and the DNS name is no longer there.  Then the machine is not avaliable on the network.  I can use the vmware console to the machine but not RDP.  if i reboot machine it appears normally after a few minutes.  I have wake on lane enabled.  I am sure i am missing some things but really thankful for any replies.. Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DylanEps
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

-Is this issue happening un VMs from both ESXIs?

-Check VMware Tools in the VMs, are they running?

-Is the VM hardware compatible/ latest supported version?

-Try using VMXNET3 network adapters un VMs.

Let us know

0 Kudos
kfkchatt
Contributor
Contributor

Hi thank you for the reply....    I have been changing to the VMXNET3 adapter on all machines.  (have not reinstalled vmtools since)  Hardware version 13. 

VMtools seems to stop same time IPaddress and dns information dissappears.  Going to try reinstalling now on one vm and test.  willl reply back.  thanks so much...

0 Kudos
kfkchatt
Contributor
Contributor

Updated vmware tools to 10.3.10   After about thirty minutes of machine not being used it has lost IP address and dns in the summary tab.   Now i can not rdp to the vm. 

0 Kudos
DylanEps
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply!

-Could you please specify esxi build number, and also if the issue happens on both ESXIs?

Please let us know

0 Kudos