VMware Cloud Community
Rivierenland
Contributor
Contributor

VMkernel nic in port group

Hi all,

I'm finally getting around to upgrading an inherited vSphere 5.5 setup to 6.5, and noticed a change in virtual nic configurations.

When creating a vmkernel nic, you now get the option to attach it to an existing port group for VMs.

These used to be 2 separate things: you either created VM Port Group or a Vmkernel Port Group.

Why this change?

What does the new option allow that was not possible before?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

I checked this in house I see 3 option :

pastedImage_0.png

Where does it says you are combining vmkernel and vm port group .

It is still separate.

I have an existing vmkernel adapter with management service enabled , if I edit it it doesnt give me any option to make it use for virtual machine , which confirms it is still individual :

pastedImage_2.png

regards

Gayathri

0 Kudos
Rivierenland
Contributor
Contributor

when creating a vmkernel nic on a 6.5 u2 host, you get the option to create a new port group, or add it to an existing one:

pastedImage_0.png

Creating a new port group, no longer gives the choice between vmkernel or VM port group:

pastedImage_1.png

But i just found something out: when you take an existing port group, it becomes unavailable to the VMs already connected to it.

pastedImage_2.png

Same thing when creating a new VM: the port group is no longer offered as a choice.

So it appears that this is only an issue in the ESXi web client: it allows you to convert a VM Port Group into a vmkernel port group, even with VMs attached.

Maybe the port group is not really considered a VM port group until a VM is actually running on it.

Testing the same thing with a vm running:

Failed - A specified parameter was not correct: SelectVnic.vnic

but then it does go on and create the vmkernel nic:

pastedImage_4.png

while at the same time the VM appears to be connected as well:

pastedImage_5.png

But checking the VM configuration shows another port group:

pastedImage_7.png

Not getting a DHCP request on that network though, so something is not quite working.

Even after a stop/start of the VM anove screens are still the same.

Basically comes down to: as long as you keep doing stuff the way you're supposed to, it all works out.

Trying strange things, which the ui allows you to, but aren't supposed to work, yields strange results.

0 Kudos