VMware Cloud Community
hoek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Tools fails to install (Windows 7)

Sorry but how are you supposed to install updates if you don't have a mouse and the reason you don't have a mouse is because you don't have VMWare tools??????

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sam0054
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@hoek 

Go to Edit Settings on the affected VM on you vSphere client and add a USB Controller.
Have done that several times when faced with similar issue and it worked for me.

Hope this helps solve your issue.

Regards

Sam

View solution in original post

5 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

@hoek wrote:

Sorry but how are you supposed to install updates if you don't have a mouse and the reason you don't have a mouse is because you don't have VMWare tools??????

Your guest should have a basic mouse no matter what... VMware Tools are definitely NOT required to get a mouse working.  There must be some other issue with your configuration.

0 Kudos
hoek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What configuration? It's a brand new VM on vSphere version 7.0.2.00500 and boot from Windows ISO.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

@hoek wrote:

What configuration? It's a brand new VM on vSphere version 7.0.2.00500 and boot from Windows ISO.

Well, post a log or something.  You replied to a year-old thread in the Fusion forum.  I've split your post into a new discussion and moved it here to the vSphere forum, where hopefully someone can help you.  You might need to provide some additional details.

0 Kudos
Sam0054
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@hoek 

Go to Edit Settings on the affected VM on you vSphere client and add a USB Controller.
Have done that several times when faced with similar issue and it worked for me.

Hope this helps solve your issue.

Regards

Sam

hoek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Right click VM > Edit settings > Add New Device > USB Controller

USB 2.0 only one supported by Win 7

Thanks

0 Kudos