VMware Cloud Community
faruque001
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare ESXi 6.7 IP vs. VCSA 6.7 IP for Home Lab

Can anyone kindly help guiding me on the question below?

I am totally new in the VMWare and building a home lab on my physical HP Proliant DL380 server. When I installed the ESXi 6.7, I made my DHCP IP to Static which is 192.168.1.115. Later when I login to my ESXi 6.7 from my Laptop to install VCSA 6.7 using the VMWare guide, during the steps I am given IP 192.168.177.x. It allows me to go through to the almost to the end of the installation. But it gives error message with the IP - It make sense to get an error. I realized why I was automatically seeing the 192.168.177.x IP by running ipconfig /all from CMD. My laptop's VMnet8 has 192.168.177.1 (preferred) IP.

Then I tried to install VCSA 6.7 from my laptop (from VCSA ISO file) again manually putting IP 192.168.1.120 so they both are in the same network and subnet, but I hit the same error again.

I am completely stuck at this point. I will appreciate if someone kindly provide a clear step by step process so I do not see this error.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Jonathan77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When you deploy your ESXi host... you have a vSwitch holding your Management network vmkernel (vmk0 interface usually) that should be your ESXi host IP.

This vSwitch should be used for the VCSA appliance as well... 
Just make sure you are connecting the virtual network adapter of the vCSA to the VM portgroup of this vSwitch and it should works.

0 Kudos