VMware Cloud Community
thetoolguy
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare ESXi 5.1.0 - USB Passthrough Configuration

Hey everyone:

I've got a Dell PowerEdge T310 box with a Server 2008 R2 VM on it.  I'm trying to configure pass through on it for the USB ports on the box, and I can't get it to work.

In VMSphere, I go to the configuration screen to mark devices for passthrough and mark both USB Host controllers that are listed.  When I click on those, the tool tip at the bottom says "This device is passthrough capable but not running in passthrough mode."  So I check the box and it tells me I must reboot.  So I shut down the VM, then reboot the box.  When I get back to this screen, it's exactly the same as it was before and the device(s) are still not enabled for passthrough, even after a reboot.

I found another article here about enabling an xhci module through SSH.  I used Putty and got logged in to the machine successfully.  I attempted to run the commands as instructed, and I get an "unknown module name" message, so I'm not sure how to proceed.

I'm pretty green at this stuff, but I'm good at following instructions.  😜  Can anyone help with how to proceed?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AishR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

CHeck if information in VMware vSphere 5.1  is of help to you.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

refer below Link ....

VMware Knowledge Base

Regards,

Randhir

0 Kudos