VMware Cloud Community
adacsaba
Contributor
Contributor

VMRC responsiveness

Good day. 

I've recently built a mini home lab around ESXi 6.5 ( for Grid K2 support) with a HP Proliant DL380Gen9 with 2x Xeon E5-2630 v3 and 256 GB DDR4 ECC RAM running at 2133 or 1866, 2x 2 TB NVME SSD for storing VM images, fast gigabit switches ( the slowest has 60 Gbs+ internal switching capability, the fastest 120+, an edge gatway, etc), 2x 10 Gbs backbone under construction,  Grid K2 for vSGA/vGPU . It's all in house, the network between server and client workstations is maximum 2 hops, 15m good quality ethernet cat5 cables between, etc. I reckon it's not the top end hardware but isn't long obsolete either, still supported by vendor.

I did work for a very long time with VMware Workstation, got used to how it feels, as responsiveness of the virtual client hosts inside is concerned, both locally on the hypervisor and remotely over short network path. Never worked with on premises ESXi before, only casual contact over screen sharing sessions with customers as part of my job, this is my first server of my own.

What i've noticed, is the VMRC console to an ESXi client VM is annoyingly slow, compared to Workstation. I understand the server is like 1 GHz slower, older generation, and it's a network between, but heck, it has more cores, higher memory bandwidth available and highly optimized hypervisor software. It's even much slower than Workstation on my ancient AMD FX8300 with DDR3. 

Obviously turned off all possible power saving features in BIOS, no CPU power states, dynamic power capping, memory or QPI link power savings, tried to tweak NUMA related settings, tried anything i got a piece of information on, to no avail. RDP, especially with vGPU is somewhat faster, but still isn't the thing, and it's annoying ( no VMRC, need to use wonky 3rd party RDP tools, etc). 

I've read some even game remotely on weaker hardware ( like HP Gen8 with the same Grid K2). 

My *question* is, gentlemen, is there a way, some tweaking, etc to make a remote connection over VMRC more responsive, or alternatives to VMRC that integrate with vSphere, that would provide a more desktop-like experience ? I don't need 1 ms fast gaming responsivity, but still, something faster than 1-2 seconds wait until a mouse click actuates on the virtual desktop ?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
0 Replies