VMware Cloud Community
WojtekTM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMRC on Ubuntu 18.04 - client area display problem

Hello,

I have a problem with my VMRC 10.0.4 on Ubuntu 18.04. I have installed it on plain Ubuntu and everything had worked perfectly. Then one day I decided to try Partenon desktop from ppa:elementary-os/stable (according to instruction on this page). Since then my VMRC went astray as you can see on the picture below: 1) VMRC ignores system themes 2) client area if filled up with background of VMRC. If I type blindly, characters are sent to the host, so I can even log in using this VMRC, however I can't see anything.

vmrc_problem.png

I have a second Ubuntu 18.04 computer and VMRC works perfectly and uses McBuntu themes without any problems.

I have reinstalled VMRC (using official vmware-installer as well as manually removing folders) and different GTK libraries, but nothing works so far. I suspect there is a broken configuration file somewhere in my system. As it is my primary laptop I don't want to reinstall system from scratch.

And something more: when I issue command: vmware-installer --gtk -l    I can see:

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"
(vmware-installer.py:18209): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",

(vmware-installer.py:18209): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",

(vmware-installer.py:18209): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(vmware-installer.py:18209): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

Product Name         Product Version    

==================== ====================

vmware-vmrc          10.0.4.11818843    

Despite overlay-scrollbar and libcanberra-gtk-module are installed.

Regards,

Wojtek

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WojtekTM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have finally solved my problem:

in the folder /etc/profile.d/ I had found some strange scripts:

• gtk-csd.sh
  • qt-style-override.sh
  • qt-style-override.sh
  • qt-qpa-platformtheme.sh

that set different environmental variables (e.g. export GTK_CSD=1). I have removed them all and voila, my vmrc works again. Due to my impatience I did not investigated which of these files actually was the source of the problem.

Wojtek

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WojtekTM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have finally solved my problem:

in the folder /etc/profile.d/ I had found some strange scripts:

• gtk-csd.sh
  • qt-style-override.sh
  • qt-style-override.sh
  • qt-qpa-platformtheme.sh

that set different environmental variables (e.g. export GTK_CSD=1). I have removed them all and voila, my vmrc works again. Due to my impatience I did not investigated which of these files actually was the source of the problem.

Wojtek

0 Kudos