VMware Cloud Community
Sateesh_vCloud
Jump to solution

VMFS 6 - Maximum PTR blocks (dynamic) ?

I tried to search for maximum values but can't find one for PTR blocks value in VMFS 6

Any thoughts?

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me @ www.vmwareguruz.com Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful T. Sateesh VCIX-NV, VCAP 5-DCA/DCD,VCP 6-NV,VCP 5 DCV/Cloud/DT, ZCP IBM India Pvt. Ltd
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Finikiez
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Not sure about maximums but doc says this at lest

When formatting a VMFS-6 volume, the number of system resources (e.g. pointer blocks, sub-blocks,

file descriptors) is set to (RESOURCE_PER_TB_FOR_VMFS5 * VOL_SIZE_IN_TB). If this value turns

out to be less than 16384, 16384 resources are automatically created. The reasoning behind this is to

initially create enough resources to avoid frequent resource file extensions. If this value turns out to be

greater than 16384, we cap the initial number of resources to 16384. The reason is to cap the initial

resources is to save on the disk space used by these resources. But of course for larger volumes, we

will extend the system resources are needed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mprazeres183
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Sateesh_vCloud

This are the Maximums:

Item                                      Maximum
File size (1MB block size)    256GB

File size (2MB block size)    512GB

File size (4MB block size)    1TB

File size (8MB block size)    2TB minus 512B

Best regards,
Marco

Check my blog, and if my answere resolved the issue, please provide a feedback. Marco Frias - VMware is my World www.vmtn.blog
Finikiez
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Not sure about maximums but doc says this at lest

When formatting a VMFS-6 volume, the number of system resources (e.g. pointer blocks, sub-blocks,

file descriptors) is set to (RESOURCE_PER_TB_FOR_VMFS5 * VOL_SIZE_IN_TB). If this value turns

out to be less than 16384, 16384 resources are automatically created. The reasoning behind this is to

initially create enough resources to avoid frequent resource file extensions. If this value turns out to be

greater than 16384, we cap the initial number of resources to 16384. The reason is to cap the initial

resources is to save on the disk space used by these resources. But of course for larger volumes, we

will extend the system resources are needed.

0 Kudos