VMware Cloud Community
MRoushdy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMDK is Thick by default - how to change this?

Hello,

When I create a new hard disk, the default provisioning mode is set to "thick", how to change this setting please to set the default to be "thin"?

One more thing, how to remove "Floppy Drive" from the creation phase of a VM, as it;s being added by default,is there a way to edit the default hardware that comes with the new VMs?

Thank you,

vEXPERT - VCAP-DCV - Blog: arabitnetwork.com | YouTube: youtube.com/c/MohamedRoushdy
0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

When I create a new hard disk, the default provisioning mode is set to "thick", how to change this setting please to set the default to be "thin"?

There's no option that I've ever seen existing that allows this default disk type to be changed. You'll just have to set it as a parameter programmatically, or manually when using vCenter's graphical deployment approach.

One more thing, how to remove "Floppy Drive" from the creation phase of a VM, as it;s being added by default,is there a way to edit the default hardware that comes with the new VMs?

You can choose to edit the hardware of a VM before powering it on when you deploy using a customization spec. This will give you the change to remove the floppy (if one exists on the template) before powering on.

0 Kudos
ShekharRana
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To convert a virtual machine base disk from thick to thin provisioning by changing the datastore and using offline virtual machine migration: Note: This process requires more than one datastore. If only a single datastore exists, you can clone the virtual machine to a destination machine with thin provisioned disks instead of migrating. 1.Power off the virtual machine. 2.Right-click the virtual machine, and click Migrate. 3.Click Change datastore. 4.Click Next, and select a datastore that is not the same as the current datastore. 5.From the dropdown, select the Thin Provision virtual disk format. 6.Click Next, then Finish.

0 Kudos