VMware Cloud Community
spatel148
Contributor
Contributor

VM won't power on

One of my VMs won't power on at all. It keeps getting a generic error when trying to power on. It recently had an error that said: Virtual memory state change from green to gray" and then it has been in a powered off state.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

it's not easy to help without further details. What you may try though, is to reload the VM from the command line (see https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1026043​)

André

0 Kudos
spatel148
Contributor
Contributor

Here is a quick screenshot of the error pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please post a screenshot of the Datastore Browser window, showing all the VM's files (with extensions, sizes, time stamps), and attach the VM's configuration (.vmx) file to a reply post.

André

0 Kudos
spatel148
Contributor
Contributor

I have attached both. No i can't ping it either

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Check the VM's settings and set the virtual CD-ROM drive to "Client Device" (just to rule this out).

Did you already reload the VM, as mentioned in my first reply?

What happened to the hosts/storage with all the orphaned entries (maybe related)?

Has this VM been restored? When did it run for the last time?

André

0 Kudos
spatel148
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't tried to reload the VM yet. I dont believe this VM has been restored. It was last used on 5/3. Not sure how to answer the other question

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Ok, then please make sure that you set the VM's virtual CD-ROM drive to "Client Device", and reload the VM to see whether this helps.

André

0 Kudos
spatel148
Contributor
Contributor

That didnt help the issue. I still have plenty of resources available so not sure why that's not working. Where would i run the command line from? I don't see a tool on the vsphere client?

0 Kudos
spatel148
Contributor
Contributor

I do see one orphaned entry for that same VM. What should i test with that?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Where would i run the command line from? I don't see a tool on the vsphere client?

The KB article that I've provided contains a link on how to enable Tech Support Mode on a host (the host on which the VM is currently registered).

André

0 Kudos