VMware Cloud Community
Islanders
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM template and clone feature is limited to vCenter only ?

Hi

I new to VM. I have ESXi 6.7 install on my machine.

And I noticed after I created a VM and when I move mouse over, there is no option "to create VM to template" or "clone the VM".

See photo attached

Any suggestion?

Thank you

5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

The functions you mentioned are not available if you use the free ESXi. You need to buy a licence that includes vCenter.

However you can of course clone VMs manually with the free ESXi ... its just not available via the UI

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Correct, cloning and templates are vCenter Server functions.

Without those functions you will be manually copying, editing, and registering files.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
Islanders
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks you for your inputs.

What is my best option to get a copy of vCenter for lab purpose only?

Thanks

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can evaluate it for 60 days, or for 12 months use buy a VMUG Advantage subscription.

Download VMware vSphere 7.0 Evaluation - Free Managed Virtualization for 60 Days

https://www.vmug.com/vmug2019/membership/evalexperience

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
Islanders
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you

0 Kudos