VMware Cloud Community
klepart
Contributor
Contributor

VM snapshot problems with databases - circumvent by shutting machine down?

Hello,

many people argue that databases on VMs can be corrupt if a VM is restored to a live snapshot. Can't this problem be circumvented by simply shutting down the VM before taking a snapshot? Shut down the VM. Then take the snapshot.

Do I think too less or is it really that easy to avoid problems with no matter what database is used on the VM (SQL, Oracle, whatever,...)

Regards

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Your scenario does not occur in real life.
Of course you could avoid lots of problems by always powering down the VMs before you take snapshots.
But in daily business use you create snapshots to run backup-jobs.
And if you are honest - you have to admit that backup-jobs are supposed to be  done while the VM is running.
So while your theory makes sense - you will rarely do it like that.

Ulli

0 Kudos
klepart
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your answer.

Assume I shut down a VM. Then I take snapshot. Do I think too little or is it really that easy to avoid problems with no matter what database is used on the VM (SQL, Oracle, whatever,...)?

Does anybody have an answer on this?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

When I need to update/patch database systems without being certain that the patch will succeed, I prefer to create snapshots in powerd off state if possible. That said, major databases work transaction based, so that reverting to a live snapshot should not really corrupt the database.

André

0 Kudos
klepart
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for your replies. But can I ask explicitly:

If I shut the machine down and then make the snapshot, I can be sure that there are no issues with any database, right?

0 Kudos