VMware Cloud Community
chlavarara
Contributor
Contributor

VM screenshot maintenance

Hi All,

For example, I have a VM with 7 screenshots in a testing environment. I interchange between them based on requirement.

In this scenario, I have moved from screenshot 1 to screenshot 5. i want to stick to screenshot 5. as I have screenshot 1 to 7 and i wnt to stick to 5, can i delete screenshots 1 to 4 and 6 to 7?

What happens when I delete those screenshots? What r the possible scenarios and what are the recommended steps to avoid VM corruption?

I am a newbie to vmware, the advice is much appreciated.

Regards,

Chlavarara

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert

Well, instead of "screenshot" I suppose you wanted to say "Snapshot".

Now, about the question. You can only keep a chain with snapshots so if you have this structure:

Snapshot1

Snapshot2

Snapshot3

Snapshot4

If you want to stay on Snapshot3, then you must go to that snapshot (Snapshot) and then Consolidate disks:

Snapshot3 (Snapshot1 and Snapshot2 are merged into Snapshot3)

Snapshot4

In this way, you snapshots 1 and 2 will be merged into Snapshot3 and once if you don't need Snapshot4, you can delete it and it will keep the data from Snapshot3.

Hope this helps.

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
0 Kudos
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert

Hello,

Kindly check the following: How to work with VMware snapshots using the GUI - YouTube

And I recommend to check the below:

Using Snapshots To Manage Virtual Machines

Please consider marking this answer "CORRECT" or "Helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Cheers,

VCIX6-NV|VCP-NV|VCP-DC|

@KakHassan

linkedin.com/in/hassanalkak

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos