VMware Cloud Community
zsalazar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM's have no network connection after reset

Howdy All!  I'm working with vCenter + Horizon and running into an issue I've seen back in vCenter v6.7 .

In the past I've seen virtual machines where their network adapter appeared to be connected  under Edit Settings in vCenter but the OS was not registering any network adapter being plugged in.

In particular this issue would happen after a system reset.

The fix was to hop into vCenter > VM > Edit Settings > and disconnect the network (uncheck the connected box), hit ok, then go back to edit settings and check the connected box next to the NIC. This would always fix the problem.

Fast forward to this job environment I'm in today, I am seeing the same thing happening after Instant Clones are being provisioned off of the snapshot. The only way to fix it is to log into vCenter and toggle the NIC as described above.

I havn't had a chance to update vCenter, ESXi, the vDistributed Switches, and the VM Hardware all of which is on my eventual bucket list.

Has anyone else seen this before?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Please write vCenter and ESXi build versions. 

You didn't mention which VMware tools version and VM Hardware Compatibility version were installed.

Which Ethernet adapter type {vmxnet3 or e1000?)

OS Version - Windows Server or Linux family?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As your post needs moving to the vSphere area I have reported it to the moderators.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
zsalazar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Great question @maksym007 

vCenter7.0.2

Build 17958471

The VMs are running Red Hat Enterprise 7, so pulling the RPMs hasn't been done for VMware tools. (Basically VMtools is not installed on any of our Linux machines).

VMXNET3 is being used.

0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

I assume it's more a problem from the Guest OS level. 

0 Kudos
zsalazar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's pretty weird because it's only after the VM resets that the network is dropped. Then we gotta go into vCenter and toggle the network back on as described above. 

That's why I'm thinking some updates may fix this. "HOPING" they fix this.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos