VMware Cloud Community
Zenab1
Contributor
Contributor

VM hanging problem

I am experiencing an issue with a machine in a vSphere cluster, which has two hosts. The machine is hanging, however, when I restart the management of the ESXi host, it continues to function normally with no OS resources being utilized. I have adjusted the compute resources but the issue persists, occurring at irregular intervals. I have reviewed the events and monitored resource utilization, however nothing appears to be amiss. The installed OS is Windows 2012 and the ESXi is 6.7. (Note when the machine hang the UI of the host is also hang) only this machine is hanged and i did

1- I migrate it to other host in the cluster also moved  to another host with different specification.

2- I have reviewed the logs and monitored  the VM Resource Utilization.

3-I reviewed the event viewer of the installed OS

0 Kudos
6 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Have you checked if RAM Modules are ok from Hardware perspective? 

Do you receive PSOD from ESXi level? Or some interruptions from OS lvl? 

If I were you, I would patch ESXi to newest version, update also BIOS/ iLO/iDRAC. 

Install newest VMware tools and upgrade VM Hardware compatibility. 

Which type of Datastore are you using? NFS or VMFS ? Check connection between Host/Switch/Storage 

0 Kudos
Zenab1
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you ,  The answer is provided below.

Have you checked if RAM Modules are ok from Hardware perspective?  yes all the physical hardware are ok 

Do you receive PSOD from ESXi level? Or some interruptions from OS lvl?  There is no PSOD ,  in the Guest OS of the machine, rendering it unresponsive , ALSO During the machine is hanging i cann't access the web client of the host . the other machines on the host work fine .

Install newest VMware tools and upgrade VM Hardware compatibility. (I have already completed did  this  , however the issue remains unresolved.)

Which type of Datastore are you using? NFS or VMFS ? Check connection between Host/Switch/Storage

VMFS i have checked the connectivity .

0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

In case the hardware is Ok - I think this is Storage related. 

0 Kudos
Zenab1
Contributor
Contributor

if a storage problem why the other machine residing in the same datastore doesn't hang only this one 

0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Good point. Did you mention that only one VM was affected? 🙂 

VM hangs in a specific time or randomly? I mean maybe after or during a backup task. 

0 Kudos
Zenab1
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,  only one virtual machine is being affected, seemingly at random times regardless of load.

0 Kudos