VMware Cloud Community
bwilsey84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VM fails to power on

I recently migrated around 50 vm's to a new datastore. When powering them on they have to be done in a certain order, however one is failing to power on. When I look at the event it says "Unable to open the SCSI device '/vmfs/devices/cdrom/mpx.vmhba39:C0:T0:L0' (scsi5) Could not find the file.

I've never seen this and I am unsure as to what to do. Is the VM looking for a device just to power on?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Wonlliv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It is possible that you change the *.vmx file which contains the VM configuration and remove the line concerning the cd-rom.

Best regards

www.hyper-converged.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Wonlliv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi there,

did you also migrated the machines to a new host which does not ahve access to a cdrom drive configurated at the virtual machine?

Remove the cdrom device from the VM configuration or change it at least to a device accessible.

Best regards!

www.hyper-converged.com
0 Kudos
bwilsey84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes,

These were sent to us on a hard drive from a separate site, and when I migrated them I noticed they were pretty much just turned off and sent to us, they didn't remove any interfaces so its very possible that they left a cdrom attached to it.

0 Kudos
Wonlliv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try to disable or remove the cdrom device in the VM configuration.

Best regards!

www.hyper-converged.com
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You need to edit the VM and change the CD-ROM configuration to be client or anything other than host device.

bwilsey84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've tried that but it wont let me edit any cdrom setting on the vm unless its powered on, which it wont do

0 Kudos
Wonlliv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It is possible that you change the *.vmx file which contains the VM configuration and remove the line concerning the cd-rom.

Best regards

www.hyper-converged.com
0 Kudos