VMware Cloud Community
sajithru
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM fails to power on after configuring vSphere Replication

I have 2 sites running vSphere 6.5 (ESXi, vCenter and VR) and tried to configure vSphere replication in between. I successfully created a replication from site A to B but when I configure replication from site B to A, VM gets powered off and when I try to power it up I get following error. Kindly provide a solution

An error was received from the ESX host while powering on VM MLB-Replication-Test01.

Failed to start the virtual machine.

Module 'DevicePowerOn' power on failed.

Unable to create virtual SCSI device for 'scsi0:0' (/vmfs/volumes/52941cc2-68665467-7d0e-0025b500000f/MLB-Replication-Test01/MLB-Replication-Test01.vmdk).

Failed to attach filter 'hbr_filter' to 'scsi0:0': Not found (195887107).

0 Kudos
5 Replies
estanev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can try to remove all hbr_filter entries in your .vmx file (simply add a # before each line).

Ex:

hbr_filter.configGen = ""
scsi0:0.filters = ""
hbr_filter.rpo = ""
hbr_filter.destination = ""
hbr_filter.port = ""
hbr_filter.gid = ""
hbr_filter.protocol = ""
hbr_filter.quiesce = ""
hbr_filter.opp = ""
hbr_filter.pause = ""
scsi0:0.hbr_filter.rdid = ""
scsi0:0.hbr_filter.persistent = ""

0 Kudos
sajithru
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I tried removing those entries and it works. I can power on the VM. but replication is not working by then. I reconfigured replication and it added those lines again to the VMX which resulted in VM powering off and not coming back up.

0 Kudos
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

I was not sure we could configure replication of a running VM in both directions in vSphere replication.

are you referring to replication or failover.

once you have failed over the VM to DR site and you want to configuration replication from DR back to production makes sense.

any doc from vmware which says we can do this.

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
sajithru
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Apologies for my original post, its a bit confusing. I installed VMware replication in between 2 sites and configured replication for a VM from site A to B which was successful. I configured another VM to replicate from site B to A which was failed with above mentioned error. its 2 separate VMs configured from both sites.

0 Kudos
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

Aah.. now its much better.. Smiley Happy

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos